1973 was a landmark year for Touring Car Racing in Australia. The decision was made to run both the Australian Touring Car Championship and the Hardie-Ferodo to the same rules for cars sold openly on the Australian market. The Great Race went from 500 miles to 1000 kilometres having four classes according to engine capacity rather than retail price.
There were classes A to D with the later being for cars 3 to 6 litres. The D class was dominated by the Holden Torana 3310cc XU-1 in-line six ranged against the Falcon XA GT and a handful of E49 Valiant Chargers. There were 17 XU-1s in the field with Peter Brock/Doug Chivas and Colin Bond/Leo Geoghegan in the works cars. The Toranas needed one less pit stop than the V8 Fords but at the finish it was the Allan Moffat/Ian Geoghegan XA GT that was victorious.
In 1974 this car was driven by Bob Jane and John Harvey and qualified ninth at 2.393, almost six seconds behind the pole sitting John Goss/Kevin Bartlett XA Falcon GT. The Jane/Harvey car completed 161 laps to the winner’s 163 laps which included a one minute penalty, and a scare, when Bruce Stewart’s GTR Torana stoved in the door at The Cutting.
John Harvey drove the car at Surfers Paradise in 1973 and Bob Jane at Symmons Plains in 1974. The car was sold to John Stoopman but disappeared until John Anderson purchased the car in 1984 and immaculately restored it in the Bob Jane Southern Motors Livery.
This car has been kindly loaned to the Museum by John Anderson.